Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Allergies?

The recent visit to the allergist was informative on one hand but not productive on the other.  They did a skin test and then told me the negatives could be false negatives and didn't test him for environmental allergies, yet. 

I was given a list of the top six foods that exacerbate his eczema (which is really mild) and soy, milk, wheat, chocolate were the main culprits.  The doctor also explained that someone can have a reaction to dairy without having a dairy allergy.  Milk can thicken the mucous and cause stomach issues. 

Verdict: no diagnosed allergies but it could be false negatives.  Confused?  I am, too.

We talked about O's sneezing, which he's been doing since the day he was born.  The allergist said the best way to figure out what's getting to O is to keep a food diary and notice what, if any, symptoms arise for up to three hours after he eats.

The next suggestion was to change allergy medications and to stop the daily use of it.  I should give it to him only when he's exhibiting symptoms: runny nose, sneezing, coughing.  Zyrtec for kids, here we come!

He also agreed with the placement of tubes for O.  He looked in O's ears and they were clear without signs of infection but the ear drums were without landmarks (cone of light in particular) which means that they are being pushed out by the fluid that's still there.  Since mommy has seasonal allergies, asthma and sinus issues Owynn more likely to have environmental allergies when he's older.  Darn those genetics!!!

This Friday we go to re-check his ears and the air movement to make sure we still needs tubes.  I have a feeling Tuesday is a go. 

On a brighter note, O does great at doctor's offices now.  I'm actually not sure if that's good or bad.  He is friendly with all of the patients and the office staff.  He learned how to open the doors of this office and played with the door for about 20 minutes.  Made going to the restroom a little difficult for mommy!

Last night he slept pretty poorly and wouldn't drink the coconut milk and when he finally got up for the day he was starving.  He ate all morning long and through the visit with the doctor.  I'm hoping that this is the beginning of the end of night feedings.  I'm ready!

hugs and kisses to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment