Monday, October 7, 2013

What can Owynn do?

Owynn has a lot of skills, as do all three year olds.  I've spent time detailing the things he's been unable to do or needed assistance with that I've forgotten to highlight what he excels at.  Or maybe I haven't forgotten but I feel like writing it all in once place. 

O LOVES music.  He sings (off key), dances and makes up words to favorite songs, that he knows.  When he moved to the new class at daycare they started singing new circle time songs.  He came home singing more songs than ever.

Owynn can count.  To 45.  By ones.  And he can count backward from 10 to 0.  He also recognizes numbers up to 30.  I'm not sure how that happened or when but I'm glad he's got those skills down!  I can't convince him that 13 isn't pronounced three-teen.  Or that 15 isn't five-teen.  He can also count to 12 in Spanish. 

O knows all of the phonemic sounds for all 26 letters of the alphabet.  Thanks to Meet the Phonics and his poor eating habits, he can now sing a phonics song.  He recognizes all of the letters, thanks to that same series of videos.

Owynn loves reading.  He has favorite stories and knows all of the words to each page.  Currently, he reads Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See?



O has a fabulous memory.  I'm sure all small people do, I'm just amazed because my own memory is not so great.  We went to Target a few weeks ago and got a hot chocolate (or as O says, "warm chocolate, is not hot, mommy) from Starbucks.  Now when we drive NEAR Target he asks for a warm chocolate.  We don't have to be in the parking lot.

Owynn is polite.  He says, "Thank you (fank you), you're welcome, please (although not as often as I would prefer) and excuse us (axcuskus."  And at the appropriate times.

Owynn loves to help.  And I use this to get toys put away and laundry done.

O is potty trained!  He has the occasional accident but hasn't worn a diaper in months.  He likes to use his Nana's potty and is insistent upon using his green potty when mom is home.

O finally knows that mom doesn't have a penis.  Here is where O and I spent a lot of time discussing boy and girl parts and who has what.  He FINALLY put all the pieces together and tells me, often, that "Mommy, no has a penis.  Owynn has a penis."  I'm REALLY glad he doesn't have these thoughts when we are at the store.  Usually, only when we are going to the bathroom. 

Owynn has figured out the days of the week (not the names) and when I'm going to be home on what mornings.  He loves the days when we snuggle in bed.  So do I.  He's always gotten up before me and he comes to snuggle in my bed for a while.  Then, he asks to watch Sesame Street.  So, we watch for a little while and eventually get up to brush teeth and get some breakfast.  For the moment, it's only Saturdays that are like this.  And I cherish them with my whole heart.

O is a good friend.  He loves seeing his friends at school.  When we see them outside of school, he's sure to ask if they are having a good day.  He gives hugs readily and is sure to share his toys and books with them. 

Owynn knows he has to wear his orthotics all day.  He wakes up asking for his gray shoes.  Those are his S. Perry's that have a wide base and velcro straps thus, fitingt over his Spiderman orthotics.  He doesn't wear them when he takes a nap but asks to put them on again when he wakes from naptime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment