Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Sleepless in Farmigton

Sleep is a precious gift that God gives us everyday.  That's when our bodies heal themselves.  Our brains process the day.  Our clocks get reset.  My son rejects this gift with frequency.   And it makes this mama a little nuts.  

We've changed sheets, changed times, gotten new jammies, changed to a smaller bed.  Still.  He fights sleep, like a champ. I'm at a point of not knowing what else to do.  And I'm not going to lose my mind over it.  When he complains that he's "tired" I say, "go to sleep when you get in bed, don't play around, and you won't be tired."

Last night, he talked for a while.  Asked for something to drink for about 45 minutes and I finally caved.  He then knocked out quickly.  

Now, let us fast-forward to this morning.  I wake up aroun 6:20 to start my day.  My coffee is in hand.  My eyes are open and I'm moving toward the shower.  Then, I hear a small voice.  I'm not awake enough for this. 

"Mommy, I had good sleeps!"  He is just outside my bathroom door.  At 6:30.  

"I'm so glad you had good sleeps.  It's not time to be awake yet.  You need to go back to your bed."

"But mommy, I HAD good sleeps."

"Well, buddy.  I'm getting in the shower so, entertain yourself or go back to bed.  Don't burn the house down."

I get in the shower.  I get out of the shower.  I hear a video playing from the living room.  I get dressed and head out toward the noise, and I see O laying on the floor, not too close to the TV, with his arms folded behind his head and a bowl of raisins next to him.  He had gotten raisins out of the fridge, poured some in a Tupperware bowl and put the lid back on before starting his video.  I giggled inside a little. 

I'm going to call that a win.  He was entertained, the house was not burning to the ground and I got to shower, drink some coffee and read my scriptures, and did some praying.  All without having to listen to any whining or complaining about being tired.  A battle I didn't have to fight this morning. 

Owynn is a smart, sweet boy.  If this is how mornings are going to go from now on, more power to him!!

No comments:

Post a Comment