Saturday, September 13, 2014

Happy 4th Birthday, Owynn!!

Turning four must be confusing.  Or maybe not.  It's just kind of a big deal I've discovered.  Last year O had a great time.  But I don't think he really got what birthdays are all about.  This year.  Boy Howdey!  He's been talking about his birthday since July! 

In July, Nana and Yaya came to visit us and Owynn talked them into buying him a "4" birthday candle from DQua.  And he talked about being four.  And then about being five so he could go to kittengarden.  The next time Nana and Yaya visited, he talked them into buying a "5"candle at DQua. 

In August, all of his buddies at school left to go to kittengarden.  He asked to go as well.  I explained that when he turns 5, he can go to kittengarden.  "Oh.  Well.  It's my birthday.  I"m five years old now.  I can go to kittengarden."  His brain isn't at the place where I can make my argument and it make sense to him.  So, I just go with it. 

When we were in Phoenix he had the following conversations:
O was talking with Babecca:
O: What's that?
B: A ribbon. 
O: What do you do with it?
B: I I wrap presents with it. 
O: You know.  It's still my birthday. 

And walked away. 

O was having a conversation with Christy:
C: When is your birthday?
O: When it's September. 
C: Is your birthday the 16th?
O: NO!  It's the 14th!

This last week, he talked about taking treats to school.  Every day.  Then, Thursday evening, we went to Smith's.  Where he picked out yellow and pink frosted Lofthouse cookies.  And some gluten free ones for Miss Chris, who has celiac's disease.

People have been singing "Happy Birthday" to him for weeks.  Yesterday, we drove down to Santa Fe.  We decided to do the birthday celebration with Nana, in Santa Fe, since she still has a broken foot.  On the way from Farmington, I told O we were going to have Happy Birthday cake and presents at the park, when it's Saturday.
"OH!!!!  I LOVE it!!!  That's so amazing!"

This morning, he asked about cake.  I said at 3 o'clock we would go to the park.  I started to explain the clock on the stove but he lost interest.  He was ready to get the day done so he could get to the park!  He talked Nana and Yaya into going to Wal-Mart to look for "the red thing."  I had no idea what he was talking about.  I went to Target to finish getting the last few items for the party, they went off to Wal-Mart.

When I got home O was playing with the new toys that were on sale..."the red things" = the sale tags!  At 4ish, he's already frugal!

Mini Etch-a-Sketch and a skating Dora the Explorer

O ate some lunch, took a nap and then changed into his birthday shirt and off we went to the park!

We waited for a while and our friends showed up!  Tia with her kids, Declan and Lydia; Jody; Erin, Dan and their boys Andrew and Ryan; Nana Molly and Uncle Eddie; Nana, Yaya and Mommy.  It was the perfect amount of friends and the weather was lovely.  Too windy for candles but they made the cake look great!!


Then, we opened presents!!!  O is loved and received some amazing gifts: books, a plane, some church shoes, a three headed dragon puppet, a car, some TMNT jammies! And last, but not least: the scooter he'd been asking for.

O and Jody


Lydia was an excellent helper





"Whoa!!  A SCOOTER!"

"It's ADORABLE!"
Owynn was off and riding as soon as I could get the scooter together.  One by one our friends left.  O was still riding.  And for a short time had a parade of people following him.  He rode until about 5 and I convinced him we could go home and eat some birthday pizza and strawberries. 




Taking a water break


He fell down once and got a skinned elbow.  He cried.  But got back up and kept riding!!!  This has been my favorite birthday to date.  It was simple and the kids played and O loved everything he got.  And he got that it's his birthday.  Even though tomorrow is the real thing, I think today was a great celebration of the sweetest, funniest, silliest, smartest 4-year-old I know!

God blessed me four years ago, and I thank Him daily!  Happy birthday to my favorite, short guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment