Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Kindergarten Testing!

Owynn's birthday falls after the cut off date for the public schools, but not for the private schools in town. In particular, the school at Emmanual Baptist Church. That's our home church!!  I got he call a few weeks back to bring Owynn to church on this day (3/17) for Kindergaren testing.  

I told O that he was going to go to kindergarten on that day. He was so excited!!  We arrived on time and waited until it was out turn.  We walked to the Kindergaren room where the children were given name tags.  O made a point to tell the teacher his name is Xena (face palm by mom).  He took his seat and the parents were shooed back to the waiting area. 

After a little more than an hour, a line of small people came walking into the waiting area, with their hands clapped behind their backs.  O ran into my arms!
"Mom!!! I was in kindergarten.  I said the correct letters!  I did some drawing. And I said all the right shapes!  I even said the right numbers!"
"That's great baby!!  Were you a good listener?  And did you follow directions?"
"Oh yes!  And Mrs. Thompson is very helpful!"

The group of parents were dismissed and informed that we would get a phone call with results. 

A number of days later, the principal called me to let me know that O was placed on the waiting list.  Preference is given to those children who attend their daycare.  O isn't one of those children. He doesn't attend their daycare because they aren't open the hours I need them to be.  So, we wait and keep fingers crossed that some other child moves away or doesn't take the spot. 

There's no back up plan. If we have to wait another year to start school, that's okay, too.  It'll all work out for the best.  I was just excited for O.  He's been dying to go to Kindergarten!!

No comments:

Post a Comment