My, how time has flown! Mr. Owynn is a tall 27.75 inches! He hasn't gained weight in the last few months, despite the added Zantac for his heartburn and reflux. I noticed that he gags when taking a bottle and now when eating from a spoon. He still fights drinking from a bottle and he never latched on to the breast. A friend mentioned the possibility of a tongue tie and it started the wheels turning in my brain. I asked his doctor about these issues and combined with the lack of weight gain, he is going to refer us for a Feeding study. We have to go to the Children's Hospital at UNM, where they will perform a swallow test, among other things, to determine if there is an issue and what it is. I hope we can get in sooner rather than later.
In the last week, he has sprouted three new teeth!!! Both top teeth are in and one on the bottom poked through when I wasn't looking! Poor guy is a bit miserable. But, playing none the less. Today he is back to his normal self and sleeping better and eating a little better. He likes puffs and teething cookies...somewhere I read to let them eat what they like. I will keep trying other things but if he likes the puffs, I'm okay with it!
 |
| A happy boy in the park |
Sounds like you have a great doctor who is really working with you to figure out why O won't/can't gain weight. It must be stressful for you, but he looks really healthy in the pictures. I think you are right about not worrying about what he eats - especially since weight gain is not a concern. Since he still drinks formula (I am assuming) he should be getting what he needs nutritionally from that. I have a friend whose son is 4 now, and he struggled like O seems to be with eating and gaining weight. They just took him to a gastrointestinal specialist. He, like O, is healthy, but can't gain much weight for the life of him. I will let you know if they figure out what's up with AJ (not that it will be the same for O, but maybe it might be helpful information).
ReplyDeleteI can't believe it's been 9 months!! What a cutie!
Thanks! It has been a little nerve wracking but I know it will all work out at some point. And I do love his pediatrician. He's not the "wait and see" type and he listened to my concerns. Prayers and fingers crossed for a simple answer!
ReplyDeleteSo glad that you asked about it! I hope you get some answers!
ReplyDelete