Thursday, December 27, 2012

Change Happens, Right?

Y'all can judge.  I'm okay with it.  My son took bottles until Christmas Day 2012.  That's right.  He was 27 months old before I cut that sucker out of our lives like the cancer it had become.  We're currently in the throws of figuring life out MINUS the bottle. 

Here's my justification:  He didn't weigh 20 pounds until about 10 months ago.  And he didn't  eat well.  So when he didn't give up the bottle, I didn't either.  I figured he was getting some extra calories and needed nutrients.  I would mix in Super Food, which was a great find, and some other things that he needed.   

Fast Forward to Christmas Eve 2012.  I had been sick VERY early that morning and then he got up for a bottle 2 hours later.  Just two hours past that, he was up for the day.  Christmas Eve night, I walked into our room, fully expecting he would be asleeep.  He was NOT asleep.  He was sitting up in his bed, reading his bible (board book version) and asked for more milk.  I was a little shocked.  Because it was 9:15 pm.  I had put him to bed at 7:30 and hadn't heard a peep from him.  I gave him another bottle and then put him back in bed.  I headed off to my room, put my jammies on, got in bed and then some short person padded into my room and into my bed.  UGHHHHH!  I was so spent from being sick and not sleeping that I didn't fight him on it.  And then I paid the price.  He tossed and turned and kicked all night.  SO at 4 am when he wanted a bottle I got one and, in my head, decided this was going to be the last one, ever.  I was secretly smiling at this decision because that meant no more making bottles, cleaning bottles or worrying about them.  At all.  I've been making this threat for more than a year. 

Christmas Day, I made the declaration to the household that bottles were no longer.  Inlcuiding Owynn.  He took his nap fine and went to bed fine.  The next day was much of the same, except bedtime was a bit tougher.  I put him to bed at 7:30 but he was still talking at 8:45.  Shortly, thereafter I went down and he was out.  He still got up at 5:30 asking for a bottle.  Have I mentioned that I'm not a morning person?!

The third day is where we hit a speed bump.  During the day he's been eating like a champ.  Then at bedtime I gave him some milk to drink before heading down stairs.  He didn't finish it, said he was done and padded down to his bed.  We read books, brushed teeth, and he stayed up and talked and kept asking for milk until well after 9 pm.  And he doesn't sleep late.  He will be up at 5:30 asking for milk.  I'm at a loss.  I know this is the right thing and it'll get easier but HOW DO I GET HIM TO GO TO SLEEP?!?????

I will stand my ground.  He will not have bottles.  Because I'm the mom, I said so and it's time to give it up.  Especially, since he was getting up in the night for a bottle.  He's old enough to eat enough during the day and sleep ALL NIGHT LONG. 

This is my confession, prayer and pleading all rolled into one post.  If anyone sees me and I seem a little more disheveled than usual, don't ask how it's going.  You'll know by the bags under my chin, cuz that's how far down they will hang. 

And some day I won't remember this or if I do it'll be with a mommy memory type of fuzzy recollection.  For this moment, I'm not a fan of change.  But in the long run I know it's for the best.  Right?

No comments:

Post a Comment