Owynn didn't have the terrible two's. He's generally a sweet, kind boy and didn't throw tons of tantrums during his second year of life. And now that we are on the verge of turning three, the tantrums seem to be coming like rapid fire. I need to start taking pictures!
Yesterday, at dinner time, O decided he needed to make eggs. He REALLY likes making scrambled eggs. He can now open the door to the refrigerator and get the eggs out. At dinner, I said no to eggs. He didn't like that answer so he went to the fridge and opened it, pulled out the egg container and I met him there to put the eggs back, explaining that we could have eggs tomorrow morning. He REALLY didn't like that answer and started to open the door again. I held the door closed. He started to yell at me that he WANTS EGGS! And then he let out a super, loud, blood curdling scream. First full blown temper tantrum followed. He didn't make it to the floor to kick and scream but he was hanging onto the door to the fridge for DEAR LIFE! I don't remember how we moved past it but I was dying laughing inside.
Today, we went to have dinner with my stepmom and friend, Nina. O doesn't eat well anywhere but at his house. And today he didn't fail me on that account. We sat down to eat and he was interested for a few minutes, ate half a dozen spoonfuls of pasta and decided he was done. At this point I can, usually, pull out the phone and get him distracted with games and videos. PBS kids has a great app that has video clips and tonight, it WASN'T working. And I couldn't get it to work. And the tears started. And they didn't stop until we got into our carseat and were driving home. I don't get embarassed by these fits. I just feel bad for the people around us who have to hear it. We had a long talk on the way home about proper behavior when visiting with family and sharing a meal. He wanted to go to the museum. Uh, no.
I hope this phase passes quickly. Or that I can figure out how to handle the fits without losing my own mind in the process.
No comments:
Post a Comment